Monday, April 11, 2011

Cardboard Memories



I stumbled on your photograph today,
a curled up image in a cardboard case,
just an old snapshot that was tucked away.

Beneath a pile of aging notes it lay,
its glossy paper looking out of place--
I stumbled on your photograph today.

Though it was only sticking out partway,
it  was just enough to see your face
in this old snapshot that was tucked away.

The fading image just does not convey
those cherished memories time could not erase…
I stumbled on your photograph today.
           
The passing years have caused the edge to fray,
so very carefully I did replace
this aging snapshot that was tucked away.

Sometimes it seems like only yesterday,
these retrospections we cannot retrace...
I stumbled on your photograph today,
just an old snapshot that was tucked away.
©Copyright Ginny Brannan April 2011

*I am inspired or "triggered" to write about things from my own life, so you can bet that this came from finding an old photo. Perhaps a little clichéd,  but my memories, my clichés.
Image: Kookaburra Laughs.blogspot.com


13 comments:

  1. What a pleasant poem! I remember last summer finding a box of old family photos, and feeling very much the same as you describe. I enjoyed the refraining line - it added well to the idea of memories. I can't place my finger on this form though. Villanelle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! Not easy to do a villanelle (I believe that's what this one is?) Yours has a lovely flow to it and doesn't seem forced. Rolls like a song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ginny. I love this poem and the way your repetition captures the inescapable image that has now engraved itself upon the speaker's mind. Thoughtful and evocative imagery. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your poetic adventure xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderufl poem. Very vivid and real feel to it. Nicely done!
    http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/what-about-the-cow-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reflection has a smooth & flowing quality that lends it a sense of authenticity !

    ~MISH~
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/drama-ducksburg/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I feel ashamed as I took the prompt quite literally. I enjoyed it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all who commented. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

    Shanna, Nothing to be "ashamed" about! I am not particularly good with children's poetry, and it's been a long time since I was reading children's stories to my son, so I went with the "photography" angle.I read a few pieces before posting, and saw that some went with different ideas taken from the prompt, like "photography." Actually had written this poem months back, but never "shared" until now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely thoughts, lovely read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. a fond picture does trig lovely waves of memories.
    pleasant read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely piece I enjoyed it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photos are wonderful at digging up old memories... and there's not cliche about one's life :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.