Monday, April 4, 2011

Grey Areas

My life is viewed in shades of grey
where fact and fiction now unite--
no clarity of black or white.

Harsh images once tucked away
are now apprised through stranger’s eyes;
their clean, sharp edge begins to fray.

Within this shadowed, aging light,
my life is viewed in shades of grey.
©Copyright Ginny Brannan March 2011


















* Octain format created by Luke Prater: Eight lines as two tercets and a couplet, eight syllables per line with the first line repeated (as much as possible) as the last. Meter is iambic or trochaic tetrameter, but fine to just count eight syllables per line for those who prefer that. Rhyme scheme – A-b-b a-c/c-a b-A(A = repeated refrain line. c/c refers to line five having midline (internal) rhyme (eg. apprised/eyes), which is different to the a- and b-rhymes)


Sharing at d’Verse Poetics-Play with Color hosted by Victoria Ceretto-Slotto 

14 comments:

  1. Tense piece which has a nice flow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowing and mellow... then the picture... I really enjoyed this beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow evocative piece...the edges beginning to fray...the grey mix of life and fiction...yikes...that is a scary moment for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. is "your" life being viewed this way from the inside, or from the outside?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...do we all become grey? Moving, even haunting piece...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing is as clear cut and as the accompanying image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely poetry form... shades of grey...yes we all get there one way or another ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it, my favorite being the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The form suits nicely to the reflectiveness and reexamination of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've read this before and it rings so true for me, as I've also learned to love grey. Black and white, life well-defined can be comforting, but oh-so-limiting. Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  11. still scared of this one...starting to lose the membranes to fray & fade...it is my time...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.