Thursday, April 2, 2020

On Flaws and Broken Pieces

















I thought to put the mug away
to use again another day
upon it’s rim I felt a nick
rendering it derelict;
but still, it worked, it held its share
and did not seem beyond repair—
there was nothing to prevent
it being used for its intent.

I see myself the broken cup,
somewhat shy of being whole...
despite each blemish and each flaw
each defect and deformity
I’ve stood up to what life’s doled
and done it all with dignity.
I may be chipped, my finish worn,
my glaze no longer uniform;
but do not write me off just yet
it could be something you’d regret.

© Ginny Brannan

NaPoWriMo.net offers writing prompts to assist with ideas for our daily writing. Sometimes I follow them, sometimes not. Today’s poem is from one of their prompts, which I ever-so-promptly misread! Ideally this was for Day One and suggested using an "action" as metaphor for your life, and I read as using a specific object as metaphor for life. So here’s mine, not as an action but as an object, inspired by my morning coffee!!
NaPoWriMo Day 2

1 comment:

  1. I'm a cup too! I love this for so many reasons! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.