Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Against the Wind


 













I try to put my best foot forward

even when the skies are gray;

the darkness always reaching toward us

 

still all my best laid plans are thwarted.

I stumble trying to make headway

while trying to put my best foot forward

 

I doubt I’ll ever be rewarded

for even those we love betray;

the darkness always reaching toward us

 

each new strategy, aborted

our cards are dealt then cast away

while trying to put our best foot forward

 

the words I hear appear distorted,

spinning thoughts in disarray

—the darkness always reaching toward us

 

I do my best to be supportive

while you discourage and upbraid

I try to put my best foot forward

the darkness always reaching toward us.

 

© Ginny Brannan 2024


"I’m older now and still running against the wind"  Bob Seger

.

Day 17 NaPoWriMo 2024 prompt: A poem inspired by a piece of music. Can be used as title

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.