Sunday, August 14, 2011

Baile Átha Cliath

Black pool

Viking invasion
Brit occupation

evolution, revolution
bullet hole-riddled soul

ancient, urban, modern

U2 rock me;  you, too,
call me, back 
to you

©  Ginny Brannan August 2010      

Image by author
















Dublin, Full of youthful exubrance, an amazing city of contrasts. It's history includes Viking, Norman and Anglo invasions and revolution, and it is known for its famous politicians, poets, writers, saints and entertainers. One of my all-time favorite places to visit.  Shared at d'verse Poets Pub, Poetics~Going Urban
Photo: Daniel O'Connell's statue, Dublin~scarred with bullet holes from the 1916 Easter uprising (Anglo-Irish War)  

7 comments:

  1. nice...would love to visit dublin sometime...big U2 fan, so nice mention and nice word play as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting city to visit...thanks !

    Happy sunday ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evocative, speaking to a city with many layers of history, the pulse of humanity for a number of great writers. xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  4. from the viking invasion to U2 - love it...and i guess there's another city on my list to visit now...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, Ginny.

    I've always wanted to visit Ireland. I agree about it's history, and some of our favorite poets and playwrightes hale from there.

    Ginny, I tried to become a follower here, but I think your "Follow" button doesn't work.

    JamieDedes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this, Ginny. My Irish DNA longs to visit that beautiful country some day. I enjoyed the "history lesson" as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.