Saturday, January 15, 2022

Winter Castings

 

Image: C. Parant Appetite for Photos

I feel the chill of winter days 

it seeps through skin, infects the bones;

weighing heavy on the weak;

it leaves the weary to atone.

High on a hill, a leafless tree

stands by itself, a sentry,

the arctic blast seeks out its limbs

as much the same, it seeks my own.

The words don’t come so easily

perhaps I wallow in illusion

this hope of being whole again

nothing but a sad delusion.

Pip, pip, dear friends, stiff upper lip!

Such fear and angst are overblown!

The hollow echo of the wind

blows through the chambers, deep within,

reverberates now empty halls;

Yet no one hears the background noise

for each is busy with their own,

and I, I stand against the wind

and like the tree, I stand alone.

 

©Ginny Brannan 2022


Image: C.Parant, Used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.