Friday, April 13, 2018

Friday Morning with Miss Em

















I stopped today to say hello
and though I knew that you were gone,
I lingered by the empty drive
and strolled a moment on your lawn.

I wondered how it was back then
when horse drawn buggy was the mode
of transportation for these parts,
as cars align this busy road.

Did you find contentment here,
 was it a prison or retreat?
Perhaps that’s why the writing came,
the words you penned made you complete.

Oh, would that I could speak with you!
Would conversation be in vain?
To understand this world you knew
where women had to show restraint.

You laid the stonework, paved the way
for others who would deem to write.
I hear your words inside my head
while I walk this revered site

The time has come for me to leave,
I bid adieu, Miss Emily;
for all the writers that I know,
I thank you for your poetry.

© Ginny Brannan 2018

Image by author: Emily Dickinson home, Amherst, MA

1 comment:

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.