Monday, June 19, 2023

In the Silence of our Days

 















When the sun has reached its peak

and the rains have come and gone

and nothing hovers in our grasp

reminding us where we belong

and we search for any sign

but  emptiness is all we find.

Our hope sits stagnant in the air

veiled in smoke from distant fires,

I’m left to ask if your still here...

the silence that you’ve cast, unclear.

How dependent I’ve become

waiting on the smallest crumb;

a tiny fix to get me through–

no heavy drugs or needle marks

yet surely, just a word or two?

I live, vicariously it seems,

through the lines that others pen

the balance shifts to leave me scourged

when I no longer see the words.

 

© Ginny Brannan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.