Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Looking Through You

 


 









I’m looking through you, where did you go
I thought I knew you, what did I know

You don't look different, but you have changed
I'm looking through you
You're not the same”

      Lyrics “I’m Looking Through You” The Beatles


 

We all change;

we adapt to face challenges,

we encase ourselves in a shell 

shielding from outside forces

that conspire to break us…

 

It doesn’t matter who we are

how much time passes

or how we’ve struggled

to stay on our feet.

It doesn’t matter how hard we’ve worked

the sacrifices we’ve made

there is always someone waiting

to step on our words,

to break our wings

to crush our spirit
to eviscerate our existence.

 

You think you know me because you knew me back when

   … but you only saw what I showed you.

There are but few who've really known me

who’ve seen all of my scars 

and know the crux of my soul…

who can sense my moods by my inflection,

understanding that what I don’t say 

is just as important as what I do.

There is an intimacy to such a relationship,

a trust given and received when we allow

someone to hold our beating heart in their hands.


And while I share moments, glimpses of my life each day

I still keep my shell, lest I give too much away.

 

© Ginny Brannan 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.