Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Moon Shadows

Just for fun, in honor of Halloween 2011

Late night, moonlight casts shadows on the wall;
floor creaks, curiosity piques, I tiptoe down the hall.
Cat jumps, heart pumps faster with this scare--
another sound, I glance around, and whisper soft “Who’s there?”

The clock ticks out the minutes; no one says a word;
no other sound is heard.

Standing still, sheer force of will, seeking inner calm.
I confess, am quite distressed—feel the sweat-drenched palm.
Turn around, bedroom-bound, when movement catches eye--
deep breath, scared to death, something’s still awry…

Outside echoes, “whoo, WHOO?” of owl up in the tree.
Cannot help but wonder, “Who it is indeed?”

Wide-awake, cannot shake this feeling of forebode,
not insane, but can’t explain what has gotten hold.
Turn on lights, doors locked tight-- all is safe <or is it?>
Am I host to some old ghost on his midnight visit?

No one will believe it; they’ll say this allegation
is just another figment of my imagination.

©   Ginny Brannan October 2011

Images: Edward M. Gorey, artist



















Sharing at d'Verse Poet's Pub Open Link Night Week 15 10/25/11

11 comments:

  1. Imagined or real, i will not get up at night to investigate a sound.. my hubby will do it. ha..ha..

    nice halloween story ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah I don't believe it, nope not going to sway me, okay maybe just maybe, nope never..haha
    Fun read it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just get the feeling of a presense.

    Nice work here, I can feel the tension and feel that fear, wondering if you might get scared to death if you did indeed see something. There's a hint of relief at the end in addition to the wonder, I think.

    Thanks for the spooky mood. :)

    - Ravenblack
    http://theotherdayplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha you gave me shivers...and they felt good because this was a fun spooky read....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe of this Halloween poem, Ginny! First class and "scary" in a fun way. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poem, Ginmy. I especially loved all the interior rhymes you managed to weave into the fabric of this piece. If I tried that, my head would explode. Another frightening thought. Thaks for sharing this with us. -- j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah good ghost story for Halloween and fun for all. Well written, I enjoyed it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. truly haunting indeed, glad to see you share with us,
    smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another figment of imagination,

    love the line, Happy Poetry Picnic, you are such a gem, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your poem is featured at week 39 poetry picnic.

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.