Monday, August 14, 2023

River Walk

 We walk along the river path in silence

as sun slips ever lower in the west–

inside the quiet stillness old friends share

the kind that needs no plumage to impress,

each one of us relaxed in our own skin

not needing to break silence to express.

 

Maxfield Parrish clouds reflect the light,

their soft pastels are mirrored in the stream

incognizant of anything that’s passed

yesterday, today, the years between...

Who knew that such camaraderie would last?

It’s surely nothing any had foreseen.

 

Bright orange ball slips down behind the hills

that wrap this town inside their warm embrace.

On the street, the traffic holds its breath

as our footfalls metronome at faster pace....

the darkening sky a tense diaphragm,

while we say goodbye and go our separate ways.

 

It’s funny how some lives are interlaced,

transcending the confines of time and space.


© Ginny Brannan 2023

 

This one was prompted by one of the Poetry sites I still read. Of course I forged ahead, then went back to the prompt to find I missed one important thing, to include the two lines  (well, one line actually) somewhere in the body of the poem. 

 

‘Traffic holding its breath,

Sky a tense diaphragm’


I did, sort of, though I split it. And I kind of paraphrased the first line. These lines were an afterthought, and it shows. But I gave it a shot. Oh, and exactly 144 words as required. Good practice!

Here is a link to the prompt at DVerse Poets Pub



*Image: Maxfiled Parrish print, Vermont Sunset at Ascutney (clouds reflecting on Connecticut River)

6 comments:

  1. So nice to see you back, and there are more prompts coming up... we even have a live session per month where poets meet and read their poems and talk....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Björn. I will try to stop by more often!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the Poets’ Pub! I enjoyed the pace of your prose, Ginny, and the progress from gentle silence to the music of colour in the Maxfield Parrish clouds and the brash ‘bright orange ball’. I love the way the prompt line heralds a goodbye – although the words should stay in the same order with nothing inserted between them – except for punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read the poem you shared by Seamus Heaney, I was caught up in his rhyme scheme, andiron with it I did not notice until mine was complete that the requested that the line you chose should be used in our piece. Appreciate your kind words on the writing itself. Will do better, or at least follow directions, next time!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.