Sunday, December 19, 2021

Carrying On

 















At the mall the other day

I stopped to drop a donation

into the red bucket;

a tradition, something 

we always did for our fathers,

two WWII veterans who spoke 

of the kindnesses rendered

by this “army of salvation.”
I gave more than usual

then tried to explain that this year

I was donating for you, too,

but I couldn’t find my voice.

In routine there is peace,

joy found in small moments:

a visit with family,

time spent with friends,

in memories shared

 and in traditions…

each thread woven with love.

If a tear should appear,  it is not from sadness,

but from the place where the heart remembers.

It is Christmas, after all.


© Ginny Brannan 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.