Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Winter Crossing












In the shadows past the headlights,
he crossed the lane with cautious grace.
I stopped the car for, as we know,
where one is seen another goes
—yet only one would pass this night.
I had such perfect line of sight:
he paused midway across the road,
then turned so I could see his face.
He wore a crown upon his head,
I counted four points, perhaps six.
He moved with purpose to his right,
and so I turned to watch him go.
He disappeared into the copse.
The only sign he left behind?
 His darkened hoof-prints in the snow.

© Ginny Brannan 2019

True story, driving home from work early Sunday evening 12/8/19. What a beautiful creature he was, too!!

Image Credit NatureExposure.com Bucks in Winter “Winter Eyes” by Timothy Flannigan

1 comment:

  1. I love it when a writer can help me see something without actually looking. Just like you did here, Gin. Wonderful image.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.