Monday, April 8, 2019

Circlin' the Drain













We don’t know when we’ll pay our dues
but we all have to check out sometime.
Death is a fact of life,
and these eyes have seen too many
'facts' already for this lifetime.
At what point is enough enough?
How many more circles ‘round the sun are left?
I guess that’s between the good Lord and me,
or perhaps the devil on any given day.
I’m still here, and until I start ‘circling the drain’
I’m not plannin’ on goin’ anywhere too soon.
Hear that, ya vultures?

Hopin’ my next home likes ‘em sassy, ‘cuz I aint ‘bout to change now!

© Ginny Brannan 2019


Checked out the Day 8 Challenge for NaPoWriMo that suggested using a slang term as metaphor from one of several professions. I chose my “profession”  sort of loosely, (medical as I am support staff for skilled nursing) and the slang term “CTD”  “circling the drain”, a ‘metaphor’ for actively dying. It works.

Image: Pinta Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.