Monday, June 25, 2018

Never Give Up, Never Surrender

It’s not always about doing what we “want” to do
sometimes it’s about doing what we need to do
about pushing ourselves to get out of bed
out of the hole, out of the ‘low’ we are in

“Never Give Up, Never Surrender”

I’ve watched you struggle with the day to day
never giving up, propelling yourself forward
when you barely had the strength to sit up.
I’ve watched you will yourself to stand, knees shaking
forcing your atrophied legs to hold you
—just a few moments longer.
When asked if you would try again,
it wasn’t even a question, you just did it.

What is the measure of a man?
I’ve watched you lose your strength, your balance
your ability to work, all the things
that you thought defined you
to discover that what truly defines you
is that part of you inside that
never gives up, never surrenders.
I’ve watched you come back
from the brink of forever,
to grow stronger every day.
You are so much more than the sum of your parts,
you are the epitome of faith and belief:
belief that God won’t give you more than you can handle;
faith that if He wills it, you will get better.

I may struggle with my own beliefs,
   all but one that is…
I believe in you, who you are,
the example that you set.
I have watched you fall, pick yourself up
brush yourself off, and try again.
You have taught me that if you are willing to try
then nothing can keep you down.

That is all any of us can do,
get up, brush ourselves off
and keep moving forward.
…and never, ever, ever give up.

© Ginny Brannan 2018

Photo from personal collection, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.