Friday, May 12, 2017

In a Heartbeat...













Ba bump ba bump ba bump ba bump…
my heart races at eighty-five beats per minute;
faster as I push myself to finish what I’m doing
so I can move on to something else.
I set the bar high, my own expectations higher—
the fear of restructure, replacement remains
a ghostly shadow hiding in a corner of my mind;
for I know all too well that I am dispensable,
that it’s never about the work, but the bottom line.

I‘ve wondered, how does one pace oneself?
Is there even such a thing?
Acutely aware that at this age, this stage
life should be about slowing down,
enjoying each moment…
unsure if this is wearing me down
or keeping my mind alert; keeping me young.
I am reminded on a daily basis
of how life can change in a heartbeat;.
So, like the ‘Little Engine That Could’
  I keep chugging away while I still can

...ba bump ba bump ba bump ba bump ba bump.


© Ginny Brannan 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.