Monday, February 24, 2014

Possessed

Poet's Sleep, 1989, by Chang Houg Ahn 













Corpses of empty words and half-written poems
litter vacant halls inside my head…

The floodgates open, words careen
to slip and dissipate as fast
dissolving just beyond my grasp…

I hear the sound of hollow screams,
as ghost-chains rattle broken dreams;
and phantom shadows dance in ceaseless
search for shape and form...

 Yet still I write—
 holding tight to scattered
 thoughts on fragile pages,
 as each word unlocks
 the spirituous haunting
 of my soul.


© Ginny Brannan 2014

Written for Magpie Tales #208
Image provided by Tess Kincaid. Come see what others are sharing!

18 comments:

  1. Interesting images you create here, Ginny... Happy Birthday to you! :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... 'yet I still write' ~~ perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps a butterfly net is needed? LOL. Or should that be a mosquito one?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. smiles...and we pour a bit more on the page...
    i have a small mind so i cant store up many unwritten lines between the ears so i have to write them down...ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, it is what it is, and still we write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of those half-written poem corpses...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet still I write—
    holding tight to scattered
    thoughts on fragile pages,
    as each word unlocks
    the spirituous haunting
    of my soul.

    This is lovely and so true of writers, at least I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginny,
    You certainly have taken an x-ray of the process. It's esoteric in a way that appeals immediately to others who experience that spirituous haunting...yet even for deeply contemplative insiders, there's nothing here that won't ring true. Outstanding writing.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, do keep writing! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes...words do unlock places in our souls...nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never give up or let go.....wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've described the writer's predicament perfectly Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ginny,
    I know I've already visited this post, but I wanted to say 'thanks' for the generous comments you left on my place today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautifully written. You captured my sentiments exactly. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.