Thursday, February 6, 2014

Like Sugar on Snow




A local winter festival near Quebec, Canada


At first, ideas flow slowly

drip…
           drip…
                      drip…

mere drops in a bucket
collect into words
to be drizzled onto
               snow
                      white
                              page...

where we might taste and savor
           relish the flavor
                      of each
                               new
                                     bite.

© Ginny Brannan 2014

Invited by my friend Joe Hesch to visit Heather Grace Stewart's "Take Ten Thursday: Writing Prompt" at Where Butterflies Go. Loved the image and sweet memories of childhood in Vermont it brought back, couldn't resist a visit!! Mmmm…can still taste that sugar on snow!! Also sharing at IGWRT Finding your Creative Space. Thanks for inviting me, Margaret.

Sharing just a few more images of sugaring in my neck of the woods here in Massachusetts:
Gathering Sap



South Hadley Sugar Shack, full steam!
Boiling down sap into syrup

8 comments:

  1. mmmm that would be so good..have been to several maple syrup festivals before....watched the trees drain into the buckets and them cook it off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, Ginny. This would also fit in with Kerry's challenge over at the Garden, I think. "Find Your Creative Space"

    ReplyDelete
  3. you conjured up memories of my youth... :) and inspired me to put maple syrup on the agenda...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the place to put your poem, Ginny. Then read word by word, thought by thought, all sugary and nice.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect response to an examination of the birth of poetry. Such an interesting glimpse at Canadian culture - I'm assuming that is maple syrup - it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of "drizzling words". I also remember being fascinated by the Laura Ingalls Wilder books - there is a chapter that they do this very same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my poetry and sharing your thoughts.